- This event has passed.
Fossil Free Gathering 2022
September 23, 2022 @ 3:00 pm - September 25, 2022 @ 4:00 pm£16.75 – £65.27
What is the Fossil Free Gathering?
The Fossil Free Gathering is an annual training, learning, and networking event for grassroots activists demanding that our communities and institutions, like our local councils, cut their ties with the fossil fuel industry.
This year’s event will take place over the course of a weekend in a magnificent building set in 27 acres of stunning Staffordshire countryside.
We’ll be bringing together divestment activists from across the UK for a weekend of stimulating talks and practical workshops, with a focus on peer-to-peer learning and how divestment can help achieve climate justice.
In the face of soaring energy bills and the unjust conflict in Ukraine fuelled by the global north’s dependence on fossil fuels, the UK Government has doubled down on dangerous fossil fuels under the guise of energy security. Companies like Shell have been given the green light to develop new oil and gas fields, like the Jackdaw gas field in the North Sea, that if burned will drive the Earth’s temperature beyond safe limits and keep us hooked on expensive fossil fuels for years to come.
The window to avert climate catastrophe is rapidly closing, but it’s not too late. Divestment allows local communities to use their collective power to delegitimise the industry and pave the way for political action to accelerate a fair and just transition.
Now more than ever, we need to scale up our efforts to secure a green and fair future for everyone. To do this, local campaigners need to be well-connected, skilled and confident in building their movement and putting pressure on their campaign targets to drive a move away from fossil fuels and towards climate justice.
Across the weekend, participants will have the opportunity to meet other activists both within and outside of their region, hear from inspiring speakers, share learning, plan for an upcoming national day of action, develop their skills in a range of areas and discuss how we can win.
Workshops will include topics such as:
- communicating to win hearts and minds
- making an impact on social media
- developing a winning campaign strategy
- using direct action to advance your campaign
- working with your local councillors
- building partnerships in your community
- … and much more!
We’ll be announcing the full programme and guest speakers/facilitators in the coming weeks.
Who is the Gathering for?
The Fossil Free Gathering is a friendly, inclusive event that’s open to anyone who is committed to ending investment in harmful fossil fuels.
Whether you’ve been involved in climate activism for years or you’re just getting started, there will be something new for everyone to learn and the event’s ethos is that everyone who attends will have something valuable to share, regardless of their experience.
If you are already calling for divestment in your local area, we want you to be there. If you are committed to building a more diverse, more powerful divestment ask that’s built on climate justice, we need you. And if you need help to get started, we’ll be there to help.
- Learn new skills to build powerful partnerships and make your local campaign more effective.
- Meet and plan with other activists and groups in your nation/region.
- Build connections and mutual support networks with other activists from across the UK.
- Hear from communities campaigning for environmental justice in the UK and around the world and gain an understanding of how divestment is a tactic firmly rooted in the struggle for global climate justice.
- Problem-solve together with other experts in the network on issues such as shareholder engagement, finance, and campaign strategy.
What does your ticket include?
- Participation in a diverse mix of workshops, talks, and social activities of your choice delivered by expert faciltators over the course of the weekend.
- 2 x overnight stays in a residential dorm room on-site (some private rooms will be available for those who need them).
- Food, drinks, and snacks – from dinner on Friday evening to lunch on Sunday afternoon.
- A free shuttle from Stafford station to the venue and back.
Tickets are available on a “pay what you can afford” sliding scale. Tickets will be available to purchase up to 7 days before the event begins.
Free tickets: Free tickets are available for those who need them. If cost is a barrier to your participation, please email email@example.com for a promo code to get your free ticket.
Lower cost tickets: Lower-cost tickets are available at £15.00 for those who need them.
Standard cost tickets: Standard tickets will be £30.00.
“Buy one, gift one” solidarity tickets: This is a “twice price” ticket that will help to provide free tickets, travel subsidies, and other accessibility provisions, making the gathering accessible to more people.